Thursday, January 08, 2004

You Want Fries With That Wedding Vow?

I can't believe it. I once joked about it. I knew it was going to happen one day. But still, it struck me when it came up: Drive-Through Wedding Services.

Worth quoting:

At the Rev. Al Holm's drive-through espresso place, you can get a latte, a mocha or a husband.
(Thanks to Dino Turino Setiawan)
____________________________

I'm torn between two issues. On one hand, I find marriage procedures and celebrations in Indonesia as way too much hassle. I know because my partner and I have gone through this. We enjoyed the festivities, of course. And we had some fun in preparing things. But even now, we've seen too many needless things. Too many unnecessary things to prepare. Too many strangers to invite. Too many customs to follow. Especially ones that involve the bride wearing ornamental hats the height of Monas. These things make many people hesitant in choosing the life of marriage.

On the other hand, I don't fancy procedures so simple that they can allow Impulse Wedding. Unlike lots of thrown jokes, marriage is not a decision you made after drinking too many wines or beers. Because you can't get drunk all the time (although that doesn't stop people from trying, such as our DPR members). At one time you'll get sober. Just like Britney Spears.

No comments: