Thursday, November 06, 2003

Punctuality Update

My friend Alex said that the situation in India is worse. "Being late a day or two to attend a wedding is quite... normal," he said.

Maybe because the wedding itself takes forever to finish.

When I was a kid, everytime I read R.A. Kosasih story telling about a wedding ceremony that lasted for seven days and nights, I got all excited. "Aww, too bad that never happened, here," was my actual response.

Now I know better.

I mean, a wedding ceremony for seven days and seven nights! Imagine that happening next door. What can you do if you need to catch some winks? "Uhm, sorry, I'll have to work tomorrow morning, so could you just turn it down a little?"

"But of course!" says the host. He'll then turn to the dancing guests (all of them), and clap for attention. "Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that from now, dancing will commence with bare feet."

"Can I use Nike Air?" asks a guest.

"No. Too many squeaks. We don't wanna disturb anyone."

The audience complies, and the dance continues.

With louder music.

No comments: