Tuesday, November 19, 2002

So, What's It Gonna Be, Chief?

My sister-in-law's expecting her second child this Desember. And as the tradition goes, the last month will be the "Name Discussion Period." And when I say discussion, basically it's name suggesting and scratching out.

"Kevin?" says the father.

"What!?" complains my sister-in-law. "What kind of Indonesian parents name their child Kevin?"

"Oh. And what do you suggest then?"

"Jemy."

"What!?"

And it goes on and on. This is the time when we wish we lived in a culture where naming would be easy. Maybe like Native Americans do, name people based on their past action or achievement.

"So what's gonna be his name?"

"I don't know, still have no idea. Mayb--wait," my sister-in-law would squirm. She'll then turn off his Level 42 tape. "How about Kick Twice When Listening to Jazz?"

"Oh. Okay, then."

No comments: